Moving Away & Stopping
On your first lesson, you’ll learn how to move away and stop the car safely.
Your instructor has dual controls; a brake pedal and a clutch pedal.
That means they can slow or stop the car for you if necessary, and also stop you from stalling if they need to.
You can use the P O M routine to move away.
This stands for:
STARTING THE ENGINE
Before you start the engine you need to make 2 checks:
- Check the handbrake is on
- Check the gear is in neutral
Prepare – this is when you will get the car ready to move
- Press the clutch all the way down
- Select 1st gear
- Set some gas – until the engine revs are about 1500 rpm
- Bring the clutch pedal up until you are at biting point – you will hear the engine tone dip and the engine revs will reduce
- Keep your feet still
Observe – this is when you check if it is safe to start to move away
- Look up and down the road to see if it’s a good time to start the observations
- Check your Left Mirror – Ahead – Middle Mirror – Right Door Mirror
- Finally check your Right Blind Spot – to do this look over your right shoulder
Move – this is when you will start to move the car
- If it is safe to move away, keep your feet still and release the handbrake
- Press a little more gas
- Bring the clutch pedal up smoothly, to the count of about 4
- Rest your left foot to the left side of the clutch pedal
- Check your middle mirror – is anything following you
- Check your right door mirror – is anything overtaking you
- Steer to a good driving position, this is about 1 metre from the kerb
- Look as far ahead as you can, this will help you to steer accurately
You’ll use the MSM routine. This stands for:
Mirrors – you need to know if it will be safe to stop the car
- check your middle mirror to see what is following you
- check your left door mirror for cyclists
Signal – you need to let other road users know your intentions
- indicate left, but only if there is anyone around to benefit
Manoeuvre – you need to stop the car
- move your right foot from the gas pedal to cover the brake pedal
- Position – move closer to the kerb
- Speed – press the brake pedal gently and progressively to slow the car down
- Press the clutch pedal all the way down just before the car stops
- Keep your feet still until you have secured the car
SECURE THE CAR
Now you’ve stopped you need to secure the car.
Follow this 3 POINT CHECK to secure the car
- Apply the handbrake
- Put the gear lever into neutral
- Cancel the indicator
Now you can take your feet off the pedals…and relax!