Approaching an uphill gradient:
When approaching an uphill gradient, you must look well ahead for any signs warning
you of the steepness. Anticipate the affect the hill will have on the performance of the
car and approach at the correct speed and in the correct gear to cope with it using the
When on the hill:
1. Braking will slow the car more quickly.
2. You will need more gas to maintain your speed.
3. Releasing the gas pedal will slow the car more than usual. (Engine braking has more effect)
4. The car will slow more while changing gear (quick gear changes required).
5. When overtaking you will accelerate more slowly, and oncoming traffic will be
moving more quickly.
6. Cornering is harder work for the engine.